ABOUT THE COURSE
Governance, risk, financial performance and strategy.
The Governance Foundations for Not-for-Profit Directors will provide participants with an understanding of fundamental compliance and performance related roles and responsibilities of directors, specifically in the areas of governance, risk, financial performance and strategy.
Select your preferred date and location
No current courses match your criteria
Find out more about the course
The course is designed for first time directors or aspiring directors considering taking a position on a not-for-profit board. Executives at not-for-profits will also gain a deeper understanding of the functions of their boards.
This program is suitable for:
- Executives accepting their first directorship
- Those who are considering accepting a directorship
- Executives who report directly to a board
- Directors who are seeking to transition into not-for-profit directorship
- Directors of not-for-profit companies and community organisations
Participants will gain an understanding of fundamental compliance and performance related roles and responsibilities of not-for-profit directors, specifically in the areas of governance, risk, financial performance and strategy.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify the key duties and responsibilities of directors in the not-for-profit environment
- Appreciate the potential personal liability of directors and council members
- Understand governance structures as they apply in the not-for-profit context
- Consider the differences / similarities and nuances of the director’s role in the not-for-profit / for profit sectors
- Understand the role of directors in overseeing the strategy formulation and risk management approach of the organisation
- Review the financial statements and the linkages between them
- Discuss how directors in the not-for-profit sector can link the financial statements to understand the ‘financial story’ and health of the organisation
The course is taught in an interactive manner by a facilitator with extensive real world experience in the not-for-profit sector.
The one and a half includes the following three modules:
Duties and Responsibilities of the Not-for-Profit Director
Gain an understanding of the role of the not-for-profit director in governing the organisation and how this differs to the for-profit sector.
- Understand the potential liability of directors and committee members
- Appreciate the balance between the compliance and performance roles of the board
Strategy and Risk for the Not-for-Profit Director
Appreciate the director's role in setting and overseeing strategy whilst monitoring risk.
Finance for the Not-for-Profit Director
Learn to interpret the major elements of financial statements and the linkages between them to evaluate the financial performance of the organisation.
- Explore how to apply and interpret financial ratios applicable to not-for-profit organisations
Participants who enrol in the full program (all three courses) will also receive complimentary access to Interpreting Financial Statements (eLearning course) and a recording of The Role of the Not-for-Profit Director webinar.
To further support your learning and provide you with the flexibility to develop your skills in your own time, participants who enrol in the full program (all three courses) will also receive complimentary access to Interpreting Financial Statements (eLearning course) and a recording of The Role of the Not-for-Profit Director webinar. It is recommended participants access these resources prior to attending the program.
Already a member?
Login to view this content