ABOUT THE COURSE
Your first step to the boardroom.
Gain the knowledge and clarity to discharge your director duties effectively. Understand the role of the board, directors and management in a well-run organisation.
Whether you are looking to secure your first director role, are a senior manager or a new director, this online course will set you on the fast track to becoming more effective in as little as four weeks.
Select your preferred date and location
No current courses match your criteria
Find out more about the course
This four-week online course has been designed for leaders comfortable with online learning and disciplined to study without supervision.
The course is suited to:
- New or aspiring directors looking to get a firm grasp on governance fundamentals.
- Senior executives seeking to enhance their knowledge of how an effective board functions.
You will require a minimum of 4mbp internet, webcam, microphone and a quiet place when accessing the course online.
This is an introductory course to help you gain an understanding of the roles and responsibilities of the board and executive team.
You will also find out about governance frameworks and procedures that contribute to achieving strategic objectives.
This course will cover:
- The role and key functions of the board and its directors.
- Board composition, new director selection processes and due diligence procedures for joining a board.
- The role of the board in setting organisational objectives and the importance of key performance measures for the organisation, the board and its directors.
- The regulatory framework in which boards operate and its importance in maintaining corporate governance standards.
- How boards can conduct effective meetings and contribute value through compliance and performance functions.
- The liabilities of directors and protections available to shield directors acting in good faith.
The course content is delivered over four weeks and comprises two one-hour virtual classrooms in week two and week four. These will be live and recorded for your convenience.
You will be required to spend at least 1.5 to 2 hrs per week completing materials and participating in course activities.
You will have the flexibility to study the course content in your own time while enjoying the expert guidance and support provided in our virtual classrooms.
Your tutors are experienced company directors, selected for their extensive knowledge of the board environment and their ability to engage and connect with participants.
The vignettes discussed in the virtual classrooms will be moderated peer-led discussions.
- Be part of a cohort capped at 40 students.
- Complete a variety of interactive modules each week covering different themes.
- Check in with fellow participants to test your assumptions, discuss dilemmas and share experiences using online discussion forums.
- Access support from an online tutor on our online discussion forums and two live (and recorded) virtual classrooms
- Access support from an online tutor on our online discussion forums and two virtual classrooms.
- Receive 10 DPD units and a Statement of Attendance on completion.
Below is a week-by-week breakdown of the Governance Essentials course.
- Governance Overview
- Director Rights & Liabilities
- Director Liabilities and Protection
- Director Selection
- One hour virtual classroom
- Board Roles and Responsibilities
- Board Relationships
- Board Meetings
- Measuring Board Performance
- Case Studies
- One hour virtual classroom
Note: If you have a disability or other learning needs, we invite you contact us on 1300 739 119 to discuss how we can best support you during this course.
Already a member?
Login to view this content