ABOUT THE COURSE
Develop a solid foundation.
Governance for Directors is a one day course that will help you develop your understanding of the wide range of directors’ duties and responsibilities and provide insight into the composition and structure of a board.
The course is designed for new and aspiring directors, senior executives, and managers wanting to gain a foundational knowledge of the duties and responsibilities of boards and directors.
- Executives accepting their first directorship.
- Those who are considering accepting a directorship.
- Executives who report directly to a board.
- Directors of smaller companies, especially private and not-for-profit companies and community organisations.
This course may be undertaken in conjunction with other courses in the Foundations of Directorship program or as a stand-alone education offering.
Governance for Directors is a one day course consisting of two half day sessions – The Role of the Director and the Board, and Introduction to Board Meetings and Governance.
The Role of the Director and the Board provides participants with an introduction to the functions of the board and the wide range of directors’ duties and responsibilities. It outlines the key functions of a board, the role of a director, and the internal and external relationships of the board. Participants develop a deeper understanding of director performance best practice as well as compliance requirements.
Introduction to Board Meetings and Governance provides an overview of how boards and directors undertake their roles. Participants will explore sound governance processes and practices, learn more about the composition and structure of the board, and develop reputable practices for conducting effective board meetings.
There is approximately 6-10 hours of pre-reading required before the course takes place.
Through exploring a director’s role in establishing and exercising effective governance practices, you will develop a solid foundation from which to make more effective decisions that will minimise your personal risk and maximise your contribution.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Explain the role and key functions of the board and its directors.
- Explain the purpose and essential features of corporate governance.
- Discuss the key duties, responsibilities and rights of directors.
- Illustrate the consequences of breaching directors’ duties and responsibilities.
- Consider the relevant regulatory frameworks applicable to boards and directors.
- Consider a board’s composition, structure and performance.
- Identify relevant board meeting protocols and procedures (including the use of committees).
- Outline the use of KPIs in monitoring board performance.
- Explain how to make an informed decision when considering joining a board.
Select your preferred date and location
No current courses match your criteria
Already a member?
Login to view this content