ABOUT THE COURSE
Support better governance in your organisation.
Understanding the relationship between the board and company secretary is crucial to the performance and good governance of your organisation.
This course explores the issues that affect the board–company secretary dynamic and provides directors with sharpened knowledge to become better supported by this role.
Select your preferred date and location
No current courses match your criteria
Find out more about the course
This four-week online course has been designed for directors comfortable with online learning and disciplined to study without supervision.
This course is written from the perspective of the board and is suitable for:
- Board directors
- Executive directors
- Senior executives
looking to gain a greater understanding of the company secretary role and how an organisation can benefit from the board-company secretary relationship.
You will require a minimum of 4mbp internet, webcam, microphone and a quiet place when attending the virtual classroom sessions.
This introductory online course covers the key aspects of the board-company secretary relationship, including legal responsibilities, corporate governance obligations and what the board should expect from this important role.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Gain a clear overview of governance and understand the roles & responsibilities of the board.
- Recognise the company secretary’s responsibilities and their important role in meeting an organisation’s corporate governance obligations.
- Define the company secretary’s specific duties, tasks and accountabilities.
- Recognise the company secretary’s role in maintaining key internal and external relationships to ensure policies and procedures are effectively maintained.
- Recognise the critical role the company secretary plays in an organisation’s success.
The course content is delivered over four weeks and comprises two one-hour virtual classrooms in week two and week four. These will be live and recorded for your convenience.
You will be required to spend at least 1.5 to 2 hrs per week completing materials and participating in course activities.
You will have the flexibility to study the course content in your own time while enjoying the expert guidance and support provided in our virtual classrooms.
Your tutors are experienced company directors, selected for their extensive knowledge of the board environment and their ability to engage and connect with participants.
The vignettes discussed in the virtual classrooms will be moderated peer-led discussions.
- Be part of a cohort capped at 40 students.
- Complete a variety of interactive modules each week covering different themes.
- Check in with fellow participants to test your assumptions, discuss dilemmas and share experiences using online discussion forums.
- Access support from an online tutor on our online discussion forums and two live/ recorded virtual classrooms.
- Get 10 DPD units and a Statement of Attendance on completion.
Below is a week-by-week breakdown of the Board and the Company Secretary course.
- Governance Overview
- Board Roles and Responsibilities
- The Position and the Role of a Company Secretary
- Virtual classroom
- Company Secretary Appointment and Relationships
- Legal Duties and Responsibilities of a Company Secretary
- Case Studies
- Virtual classroom
Note: If you have a disability or other learning needs, we invite you contact us on 1300 739 119 to discuss how we can best support you during this course.
Already a member?
Login to view this content